Google Flights – My Favorite Travel Tool for Finding Cheap Flight Deals
Vacation. That beautiful, sweet word, that gives you a feeling of excitement, relaxation, etc. Finally you get to explore and do something for yourself! Want to go to New York City? Sure why not!
Oh wait…. the flight can cost upwards of hundreds of dollars. “Well there goes that idea” you might think. Not quite yet, don’t let flight costs deter you from your dream vacation destinations. Yes, if you book last minute or don’t do your research it may be impossible to find a ticket within your budget, but I’m going to share with you my #1 tool in getting cheap flight deals. It’s surprisingly quite simple – Google Flights.
Google Flights is a flight search engine where you can use a variety of filters to find the perfect flight for you. You can see what days flights are cheapest and even set alerts to be told when flights you’re tracking fluctuate in price. I’ve saved $600 on an airfare ticket by using this hack, being patient, and paying attention to the cheap flight alerts I received!
Read below to learn all about the Google Flight Hack!
- Go to the website – www.google.com/flights/ – where you’ll see the homepage below.
2. From here you will enter in the information for your desired trip starting with departure airport.
- You can select to include surrounding airports. Always include a few different airports in your area (if you have the option) for possible price differences. (I’ve saved over $500 flying from an alternate airport.)
3. Type in where you want to go (also include nearby airports).
4. Select which dates you are looking to travel. (This next feature is my favorite!) If you have flexible travel dates you can look at a calendar of when the best/cheapest times to travel are. This helps you find the absolute best deals.
- As you can see below, you can save up to $34 by flying a day earlier or $21 by flying a day later.
- Two other features are being able to see flexible dates (showing the best price by adjusting departure/return date) and even a chart showing the cheapest overall dates to travel.
- You can also specify your search farther through number of stops, max price, airline, times of arrival/departure, and more.
5. MOST IMPORTANT PART: Once you have selected all the correct information for your trip make sure to TURN ON alerts from Google for your flight itinerary. This is how you can be sure to get the best price. You will get an email anytime the price dramatically increases or decreases.
- When I was looking for my next flight to Germany, the tickets at the time were around $1300 – after setting my criteria and creating an alert for price tracking, I was able to purchase my ticket for $720 round trip on a premier airline. (Talk about savings!)
6. After you have done the last step above, that’s it! Sit back, relax, and wait for an email to roll in with your cheap flight deal! Sometimes the price will go up before it goes down, so don’t worry. Just have patience and pay attention to those emails!
Although in the photo examples I was using a domestic travel option – I always use this hack when booking internationally as this is where you can save hundreds of dollars! So it’s a great hack when planning for any trip to any destination.
If you are still undecided as to where or when to go, Google Flights also has an feature where you can discover destinations. You can find this on the homepage, before you begin your search, and it’s a fun tool if you have a travel bug but aren’t quite sure where to start! Also if you have a tight budget it allows you to see where you can afford to travel too.
And, as always, the sooner you begin booking your vacation the better the deals are! Feel free to comment below or email me if you have any questions. And if using this hack helps save you money, please let me know in the comments below! (I love a good success story.)
Got your flight and now you need an affordable but perfect hotel? Check out my Priceline Express Deal Hack to guarantee you get the perfect room at the best price!